Friday, September 25, 2015

Back in the habit


I'm trying.  I'm trying to get back into the habit of writing.  It's a process, as anyone can tell you.  I have an idea and write it down.  Then I forget and come back to it weeks later...when it's no longer relevent.  That's life correct?

So for today, here's the scoop.  School pictures.  Love them.  Loathe them.  They happen.  They are happening today at my kids' school.  Guess who the Mom in charge is?  Me!  I adore this each and every year.  Not only do I get to see all the kids in their "best" outfits, but I also get to just look at them for a minute.  That sounded creepy.  It wasn't meant that way.  It's fun to see these kiddos grow and change from year to year.  I'm not just talking about height or hair styles.  I'm talking manners, friendships, humor.  The stuff that truly matters.

My oldest is in the 5th grade this year!  5th!  I don't know how this happened.  I only blinked, I promise.  Yet, the kids in her class have gone from calling me "{insert kids name here} Mom" to "Mrs. Barnes" and this year I'm noticing a lot of "Mrs. B's".  Unless they are really good friend's of my kid.  Then they usually just call me Kandi.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm still {whichever kids} Mom to most of the kids in my youngest daughter's 1st/2nd grade class.  However, my 4th grade son and 5th grade daughter, I'm Mrs. B.  I like this change.

I also like that they trust me.  I'm not the photographer for school pictures.  I wouldn't want to be.  I just make sure their faces are clean.  Collars are up or down as each child prefers.  There aren't any flyaways or falling hair styles.  Sometimes, if the kid asks, I stand behind the photographer and make faces.  To get a more natural smile.  I don't mind being the goofy or weird Mom.

You may ask why?  Why do I take the time to do this?  Well, the answer is simple, yet long.  Bare with me okay?  You see, I take photographs.  I don't own a business, but I love photography.  I always have.  I've had a camera since grade school and have a library of photos to rival anyone.  However, we also live in a school district where around 70% of the kids are on a free/reduced lunch plan.  Poverty is everywhere.  When parents can't make ends meet, extras are out of the equation.  Except for school pictures.  Most parents will find the $10 for the smallest portrait package.  It may be the only pictures that are printed for that family each year.  Now, I realize every phone has a camera, but who takes the time to print pictures anymore?  (I do, but that's another post).  School pictures are often purchased.  I want to make sure that each and every child walking into the gymnasium looks as great as they can.  That they have a good time.  That they give that genuine smile every parent longs for in a photo.  I try to make sure that happens.

Yay!  Hooray!  It's school picture day!  Say cheeseburgers!

No comments:

Post a Comment